Sr. Engineer- Entry Level (Ph.d. Required)
Shakopee, MN, USA
Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2023
About Our GroupSeagate is a leading manufacturer of data storage solutions in the world. With design and manufacturing locations around the world, Seagate develops Hard Disk Drives (HDDs) and is vertically integrated. Integrity, Inclusion, and Innovation are among the key Seagate values. This current position is based out of Shakopee, Minnesota drive design center where we collaborate with cross functional interdisciplinary design teams and component centers across the globe. We are looking for a candidate who will use their expertise and knowledge in surface science, material characterization, and physical chemistry to stage new Head Disk technologies for Seagate Perpendicular and Heat Assisted Magnetic Recording (HAMR) drives. About The Role - You Will
- Run analytical/ characterization instruments in the lab for contamination characterization and control
- Analyze impact of interfacial and surface chemistry on tribological response of PMR and HAMR drives
- Develop experiments to improve reliability of HDD interfaces in the field.
- Examine and characterize chemical compounds in the drive.
- Develop mitigation techniques and contamination control metrologies
- PhD degree in Chemical Engineering / Chemistry/ Material Science with background in surface science or physical chemistry with 0-2 years of experience.
- Familiar with basic characterization techniques like TOF-SIMS, chromatography, atomic force microscopy, spectroscopic techniques, thermal analysis, gravimetric/ stoichiometric analysis of gases and liquids, chemical composition analysis, and electron microscopy
- Experience with rheology, reaction rate analysis, mass transport, thermal and reaction kinetics, catalytic reactions, thixotropic materials is a plus
- Comfortable with automated data acquisition and data analysis (statistical analysis, basic graphing and charts)
- Charting skills using Microsoft Excel, JMP, or Minitab is plus
- A successful candidate should have strong teamwork qualities as well as communication and interpersonal skills to work effectively in a cross-functional team environment.
- MATLAB/ Python experience is plus.
- Experience with automation of data acquisition
- Our Shakopee campus is located 25 minutes southwest of Minneapolis in a setting with a rural vibe – it overlooks a horse racing track and stables, yet it has great entertainment venues close by as well. With wide-open spaces, the campus has plenty of space for running, biking, shooting some hoops or playing volleyball over lunch. If working out is your thing, the on-site fully equipped fitness center hosts wellness programs, tournaments and group workouts. Hungry? Seagate offers an on-site café with freshly sourced foods and specialty coffees, or if you prefer, drive to one of many restaurants just minutes away.